Mhlabatshane Bulk Water Supply Scheme
CLIENT: Umgeni Water LOCATION: Between the Mzumbe and Mzimkhulu Rivers, at Highflats, South Coast, KwaZulu Natal
Scope of Services Provided:
- Planning and Preliminary Design.
- Engineering Design.
- Contract Administration.
- Construction Monitoring.
- Close Out.
Project Description:This bulk water supply scheme includes the construction of a 25m high composite central concrete spillway and earth embankment dam, a raw water pump station at the dam, a raw water intermediate / booster pump station and 500Kl reservoir, a 400mm ∅ steel raw water rising main, a new 4Ml/day water treatment works that can be upgraded to 8Ml/day, a clear water pump station, a 355mm ∅ uPVC clear water rising main and a 2,000Kl reservoir, that can be upgraded to a capacity of 4,000Kl and a 200mm ∅ uPVC/steel gravity main. The project will be completed via the implementation of five separate contracts, as follows:
- Construction of Dam, Access Roads and Pump House ±R89 million
- Supply and Construction of Bulk Water Supply Pipelines ±R15 million
- Construction of Water Treatment Works – Civil work ±R9,5 million
- Construction of Reservoirs and Pump House ±R6 million
- Mechanical, Electrical and Instrumentation Works ±R23 million
- Command Reservoir and Water Treatment Works ±R40 million
- Emergency Temporary Bulk Water Supply ±R11,5 million